Monday, May 28, 2012

Did someone say orgasm?

Want a little slice of heaven in the form of a meat rub?  If so, keep reading!  Last month I wanted to try grilling a roast beast, a meat I had usually saved for the slow cooker on a busy day when we had all of the kids.  I did a little research, found this rub recipe, and read up on how to "slow grill," a concept my impatient self found fascinating.  What resulted from endeavor #1 was a not too bad roast beast; it was slightly well done- I had read cook to 145 degrees; around 140 I had to run out to pick up a child, and 30 mins later it was closer to 150.  I underestimated how fast those last degrees would go and how much difference five degrees made.  We tend to medium well people and err on the side of too done vs. undercooked. Fast forward to attempt number two when I was cooking for about 24 people and decided to try again.  Capitalizing on lessons learned, I made the rub, got it onto the meat a few hours early, and put *him* in charge of the grill.  He is of course a meat master- what man isn't on a grill?  His type A quirks came in handy when it came down to regulating grill temperature, monitoring meat temperature, and making adjustments accordingly along the way.  Our collaboration led to one of the best roasts I have ever had- served either as is, or with an assortment of rolls that included Costco's pretzel rolls; some chipotle cheddar cheese (also Costco), arugula, and a spread that is simply some sour cream, low fat ranch dressing.and an adobo pepper or two (note- these come in a can, and can be refrigerated for a long time, and a little goes a long way) tossed into the blender(Guy Fieri turned me onto this),  .  Put it all together and you have just had your first mouth orgasm compliments of a roast beast!  My only regret is I didn't make a third roast to hoard for ourselves today!

The rub is super easy:

2 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning (of course I have the Costco container, it is a staple in our home)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 T. black pepper
2 t. minced onion
2 t. dried thyme
1 t. garlic and herb seasoning (I just used an Italian seasoning blend)
1 t. salt
2 T. olive oil

Combine and rub into the beast.  This is enough for one, so just adjust according to how many you are cooking.  I cannot credit whoever created this perfect blend, because I just copied it not realizing I would become an addict, but thank you for sharing!  How did people cook before on demand recipes via the internet?  What if your cookbook didn't have what you were looking for?  Although once in a while I do still love to pull them down and peruse them, and my Southern Living Cookook is without a doubt the most utilized book in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment