Monday, July 23, 2012

My Most Favorite Poem

I am drawn back to this poem time and time again, and it speaks to me differently every time.  I share it all of the time with other women friends when they are going through things, because I know that it will speak to them too...and it is all things you learn through life...I've seen different titles but I think this one is correct.

Comes The Dawn


After a while you learn the subtle difference

between holding a hand and chaining a soul

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning

and company doesn't always mean security

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts

and presents aren't promises

And you begin to accept your defeats

with your head up and your eyes ahead

with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child

And you learn to build all your roads on today

because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans

and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.


After a while you learn that even sunshine burns

if you get too much.


So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul

instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.


And you learn that you really can endure

that you really are strong

and you really do have worth

And you learn and you learn

with every goodbye you learn...


1971 by Veronica A. Shoffstall

No comments:

Post a Comment