Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 10- "Persist"

I keep finding  myself back to my kids, but I cannot help it!  Neither of my children grew up playing sports...they grew up playing.  On the playground. In the dirt. In the creek.  At grandma's.  Dressing up in the basement.  Building blanket forts.  Meanwhile, most of their counterparts were in competitive sports from very young ages.  Fast forward to their freshman years; one decided to try out for JV Cheer, having never cheered a day in her life; the other went out for the freshman football team, having never played tackle football in his life, or been tackled for that matter.  I immediately thought, "Oh no, they are going to be disappointed, so many kids have so much more experience."  You know what?  I was so wrong.  She just had her senior cheer banquet last night, after four years of having fun, making friends, having something to look forward to and keep herself busy.  She will never be the flyer or the highest jumper or best tumbler, but she is constantly recognized for her spirit and kindness.  He stuck through a season where he had about 4 minutes total play time; while frustrated, he stuck with it and was in the weight room the day after the season ended, focused on growing stronger for next year; his attitude and sincerity blows away most kids his age.  These two showed persistence to a level that makes me so proud to be their mother and so happy that I didn't push them young and instead let them decide when they got older.  Don't be afraid to go against the crowd who spend Saturdays and Sundays at sports starting by age 4 or 5...I promise you your kids will find their fun, find their passion, and be successful, and they will learn to do it on their terms and will see the power of their persistence in controlling their destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment