Sunday, January 5, 2014

In the beginning...

Write ALM January Prompt a Day

I saw this by clicking through what was probably one too many Pinterest links this morning, and have been wanting to do one of these with photos or writing or thoughts or whatever; I liked her list so here I go!  Not sure if I am doing it write, but hey, it is a new beginning for me so go with it, guide me, and laugh with me.

Today is January 5, and not one to slack I am going to backtrack a few days...I hope if you have thoughts you will comment and share, this is my first bold attempt at something so public...thus, I am making this my "in the beginning" post.  In the beginning I used myspace to connect to people after my recent divorce, and honestly, it gave me something to do with my time.  Admittedly it wasn't the healthiest use of my time on many levels, because I quickly saw that some "friends" used it as a weapon.  I gradually shifted to Facebook, mostly because that is what everyone else was doing; what was interesting is my parents started realizing that if they joined Facebook they would be more in touch with our everyday lives- mine, my daughter's, even their relatives in NC.  While many have gone to Twitter and Vine I have stayed with Facebook because I feel like I have coffee or happy hour every day with my cousins, aunts, siblings, and close friends.  My co-workers and I also get to know each other on a more personal level and it has helped relationships at work.  Pinterest came along and it was the younger teachers who got me on, and now I love it; in the beginning it was finding ideas here and there, now it is a method of organization for me; it is a way to plan parties and collect ideas, to remember which books I have read and liked.  Then.came.blogging.  I made a few posts, you will see them here, but I was afraid people might think it was arrogant, as in why would she think we care what she did/thinks?  I kept it pretty private (that is what blogs are for, right?), the antithesis of what they were made for.  Bringing it all together is my daughter, now a senior; as I prepare for her graduation I am drawn to pictures of her whole life, from the beginning, and am awestruck in the parallels between that beginning and the new beginning she is about to have as she goes off to college, and the new beginning I am going to have without seeing her messy, adorable, hilarious self every day.  I'm afraid, and I was afraid when she was born (what mother didn't at one point think, "Oh my goodness, they are letting me take her home with me!"), filled with some trepidation as to what I was going to do with her.  At 45 I am learning that my life is full of new beginnings all of the time, and I am blessed for each and every one, because I have grown stronger, healthier and more secure.  So, read or don't read; comment or don't comment;just promise me you will reflect on something that you maybe didn't see as a big deal in the beginning, but you now reflect and realize that actually it was, and look at how you have grown since then.  Peace xoxo.
http://writealm.com/january-prompt-a-day/

No comments:

Post a Comment