Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 15- "Childhood Bedroom"

I can't imagine why I look so excited- is it the fact I have to wear mouse ears for a picture?  Or that mini me has on the same ears and turtleneck and is copying me...again!  Or is it that I am a visionary and realize that one day we will look back at that plaid wallpaper and wonder WTF was someone thinking?  That was our bedroom, circa 1975.  Cathy Quick Curl had lost her curl by this point, and apparently no one had taught me how to style that cowlick yet (that is such an awkward word, by the way).  We had bunk beds with matching- you guessed it- gold! bedspreads (Sears I am sure, circa 1974- those thin ribbed so not comfortable ones).  These colors were prevalent throughout the house and wardrobe.  Funny thing is, now most of my glasses aren't new, new ones bore me, I scour secondhand shops for a more vintage style- 1970s greens and golds (though I am partial to the greens).  It probably wasn't too many years later when I got the room next door, aka "my brother's room"; it was red, white, and blue, with a touch of silver, same bedspread, but in navy, lovely masculine oaky furniture, but it was mine.  He had moved downstairs to a new room to do whatever teenage boys in the 70s did.  At some point he moved out, mini me moved downstairs, and I back into the original room; my dad said I could pick the color, and I wanted gray.  Gray carpet and paint, with a mauve comforter (yup, early 80s).   My mom still hates that I wanted gray, found it depressing.  Guess what color I painted my room last time around?  You got it- gray, with black and white accents.  Again, maybe I was a visionary and didn't know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment